Fall is a perfect time to try a twist on the typical New England Clam Chowder. Fish Chowder using Cod can be a warm comfort food as the temperatures begin to take a dive and the kids are entrenched back in school, activities and sports. This is a great meal to plan ahead when you are busy to heat in a crock pot for when the family can finally be together after a busy Autumn day. This nutrition packed chowder has all the protein, veggies and healthy carbs you need to keep going.
1 lb cod fish fillet
2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1?2 cup celery, diced
2 cups raw potatoes, diced
1?2 cup carrot, sliced
2 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon salt
1?2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup milk
- Cut cod fillets into bite sized pieces.
- Melt margarine in large saucepan (for a lower cal option use light olive oil or unsalted butter)
- Cook onion and celery until onion is tender and translucent.
- Add potatoes, carrots, water, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add fish and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Add milk.
- Reheat, but do not boil.
Top this with bacon bits or croutons and your family will be begging for more! Thank you to Food.com for the inspiration for this fall dinner.