There is a reason why fish is highly recommended as a staple in everyday diet. Loaded with nutrients like protein and vitamin D, fish is the best source of omega-3 fatty acids that are important for your body and brain. Various types of fish bring different benefits and advantages to your body that are crucial for a long and healthy life. Many fish also provide mental health benefits. Fatty types of fish are much healthier to consider and are higher in fat-based nutrients such as:
These fatty fish are great to the body because they provide fat-soluble vitamin D, which is a nutrient that most people don’t have or lack. As a result, the nutrients they give are crucial for proper brain functioning and can be helpful in reducing many diseases.
- Helping with Depression – Depression is one of the leading health problems in the world. Studies have shown that those who eat fish regularly are much less likely to become depressed. This can also benefit bipolar disorder as well.
- Vision – Fish and omega-3 fatty acids help provide protection against disease like macular degeneration which is a leading cause of vision impairment and blindness.
- Development – Fish is essential for growth and development in the body, as well as the brain and eyes. As a result, it is always recommended for expectant and nursing mothers to make sure to eat enough omega-3 fatty acids, particularly fish such as salmon, sardines, etc.
- Increase grey matter – Grey matter is the major functional tissue in your brain, containing neurons that process information, store memories, etc. With aging, some of the consequences is that a brain often deteriorates, which can lead to more serious diseases like Alzheimer’s. Those who eat more fish have slower rates of cognitive decline.
- Sleep quality – Fish also helps improve your sleep pattern and daily functions