Tacos have been a favorite food for Americans since the alliteration “Taco Tuesday” spread like wildfire in the 1980’s. Our love affair with this finger food began long before this phrase caught on. Tacos predate the Europeans in Mexico and were discovered to be the food of choice by the indigenous people in the Valley of Mexico. Since that time tacos have taken off in the Mexican subculture and subsequently tacos have become a favorite family food across the United States.
Tacos are such a versatile food and can be changed up depending upon the tastes of the family. We suggest trying tacos with something other than the traditional ground meat or chicken. We recommend trying tacos with a twist – fish tacos! Here is a great recipe to use with our fish and sides of your choosing.
Sautéed Tilapia Tacos with Grilled Peppers and Onion(Source: MyRecipes.com)
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick) slices white onion
- 1 (8-ounce) package mini sweet bell peppers
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (5-ounce) tilapia fillets
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas soft or hard tacos
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 lime wedges (optional)
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Prepare peppers and Onions – Arrange onion slices and bell peppers on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill onions for 12 minutes, turning after 6 minutes. Grill bell peppers 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove onions and bell peppers from grill, and let stand for 5 minutes. Slice onion rings in half. Thinly slice bell peppers; discard stems and seeds. Combine onion, bell peppers, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl.
- Prepare and Cook Fish – Sprinkle fish evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 3/8 teaspoon black pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add fish to pan, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.
- Cook Tortillas – Warm tortillas according to package directions. Divide fish, onion mixture, and jalapeño slices evenly among tortillas. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.